Happened to re-read a good article in the morning. I had started bookmarking stuff (music, essays, books, movies etc) as Top 10 favorites. Not yet 10, but below are currently Top 5 essays/transcripts of speeches tagged as motivational. Need this for a rainy day (or the hottest day like this), when the energy is dipping, for a bit more juice to go on..
1. SOME THOUGHTS ON THE REAL WORLD BY ONE WHO GLIMPSED IT AND FLED – even though Scott Adams warns sometimes of listening to cartoonists for life advice, Bill Watterson is a genius and Calvin&Hobbes is a favorite. Maybe cartoonists cut through the BS, making fun of irrelevant so much that they know what is truly good. There is also some allure to people who refuse to go with the flow, refuse to succumb to commercial interests over artistic freedom (like J.D. Salinger).
2. You and Your Research – Richard Hamming – his talk is in Youtube as well. Even though the talk is about research, the insights are general.
3. Steve Job’s Standford Commencement speech – connecting the dots looking back / stay hungry, stay foolish
4. Personal Renewal – John Gardner – good to go through once in a while to shake up from the comfort zone
5. Building a culture and handing it off – due to some reason, resonated with points in this.