song queue

My spotify usage must have spiked in last few weeks. One reason is this – a few accounts who post covers of old forgotten songs got into my Instagram algorithm and I keep adding them into spotify queue for later listen and some of them have been looping ever since. Readers of this blog (if there are), might know that for me lyrics is a big part (not so fortunate to just listen to the music irrespective of the lyrics). I was thinking today how blessed it is to be from the south of India – to equally enjoy Yesudas, Chitra, Ilayaraja, S Janaki, SPB, Sid Sriram in Malayalam and Tamil along with Lata, Kishore Kumar, Mohammed Rafi, Shreya Ghosal (she bridged all the language gaps btw) and Arijit Singh. We have been given enough to last a lifetime.

Poove ponpoove – Yesudas, Ilayaraja

nizhal pola naanum nadai poda neeyum

thodarginra sondham nedungaala bandham

(You walk, I am your shadow

A relationship starts, till end of life.)


naan seydha paavam ennodu pogum

nee vaazhndhu nandhaan paarththaalae podhum

(The sins I have committed go with me

watching you live a full life is enough for me)

 

Aake teri baahon me, har shaam lage sindoori – SP Balasubramanyam, Lata Mangeshkar

Mere mann ko mehkaye tere mann ki kastoori

(My heart is scented by your heart's musk) 

 

Itna na mujse tu pyaar badha – Talat Mahmood, Lata Mangeshkar

Itna na mujhse tu pyaar badha

Ke main ik baadal aawara

Kaise kisi ka sahara banoon

Ki main khud beghar bechara

(Do not let your love for me grow,

For I am but a wandering cloud.

How could I ever be someone’s shelter,

When I myself am homeless and helpless?)

 

Chal re chal re wal - Shafa Ullah Khan Rokhri (Punjabi dialect)

Chhalre chhalre waal

Mode rakhnaye kali shaal

Hath chenaye ratta rumal

Teriyan rishaan kaun kare

(Your long, flowing, and waving hair.

A black shawl upon your shoulder.

a red handkerchief in your hand.

Who else could ever match your beauty and grace?)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

critical thinking

giving

aspen, blinding light