nirvana


I was discussing Buddhism with a friend today and debating whether Nirvana state is a worthwhile target – why get free from all the desires and suffering since many of these is what makes us human. Why transcend being human while we are living this life? It could be a naïve thought. But I was thinking if I would let go of below emotions if I had a choice..

Feeling that I am not giving my daughter enough love and wanting to give her a hug
Missing someone so much that it puts a weight on the chest
Seeing someone so genuine and feel happy about having met them
Feeling tensed for no reason or too many reasons piling up
Stepping out to the sun at noon, a cold breeze and feeling healthy and happy
Laughing till the eyes tear up and back aches
Feeling of accomplishment after doing something well
Screaming silently at myself for doing or saying something stupid
Acute embarrassment in facing people and saying things I don’t believe in
Physical pain like a small electric shock upon seeing someone in a wretched state
Feeling rage when someone behaves utterly unfair
Feeling helpless when all the logic fails
Happiness from companionship
Happiness from creation
Sinking feeling seeing the corrupt people rise
Feeling guilty having accused someone of something incorrectly or prematurely
Feeling inadequate in inability to rise to occasion when it was needed
Feeling like an idiot for not saying something clearly at the right time, worried about offending someone who did not deserve it and letting something wrong continue

There are lot of emotions and thoughts I could get rid of – competitiveness on things that don’t matter, greed, jealousy, possessiveness, pride in wrong things. But others that help us improve, those that act as checks and balances, should remain along with all the positive ones. Can settle for such compromised nirvana maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

weekly notes, wk 12 / 2024

  1.  Watched a series, The Old Man (Disney+), primarily since I wanted to escape and take my mind off things. It had some promise - of an o...