Thamarai

"What is your favorite song?"

"Vaseegara" I didn't have to think. 

"It maybe because you may be associating it with some feeling or some thing while you heard this song that you think this is your favorite.." comment from the side.

Maybe. I don't know why it is my favorite. But I am never tired of listening to it, even after a decade or more. It is sung by Bombay Jayashree - I knew of her only through this song. But I discovered another curious fact only much later. 

I liked these songs

Idhayathai Yedho Ondru - Yennai Arinthal
Ava Enna Enna Thedi Vanna Anjale - Vaaranam Aayiram
Nenjukkul Peithidum Maamazhai - Vaaranam Aayiram
Annal Mele Panithuli - Vaaranam Aayiram
Mannipaya - Vinnaithandi Varuvaaya
Maruvaarthai - Enai Nokki Payum Thota

Kangal Irandal - Subramaniapuram 


All of these have one thing in common - all written by one person - Thamarai.  She writes in pure Tamil. I can understand Tamil only as much as a normal Malayali, but the words that Thamarai uses are tough. But still the feel gives the meaning. Chakki makes fun of me that I am a Tamilian and if the Tamil songs that I like are translated to Malayalam, I would think it is silly and it is only due to novelty of listening to another language that I like these. 

Once when we were driving, I changed some song since I thought the words didn't mean anything and there was an immediate protest from my wife. I said I didn't like the words and the answer surprised me - "I was listening to the music, did not even hear the words". I am tone deaf and at the same time my wife and daughter can physically feel a wrong note being played. I listen to the words and for me Lyricist is the most important person. So in that league of Lyricists, Thamarai may be the best. 

In an interview she said these are just songs for a film and its context, not personal. But it is hard to believe that the intensity of the emotions she conveys can be mechanically produced. It is incredibly sad that such a gifted artist has had a turbulent life so far. I hope she continues to write beautiful songs and I can continue to be surprised when I find out that yet another new song that I liked is written by her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

company / community

  1. One of the blogs I have followed for more than 15 years, is Matt Webb’s Interconnected. I am not sure how I came across his blog, but i...