short links


Blind – an anonymous corporate social network. I think the biggest use of this will be to give true feedback to people. Such platforms have huge downside as well – but it is the kind of downside if we hear others thoughts without filters. I think most of the wastage in large corporates is due to people not being able to communicate their challenges freely with each other. Much effort and time goes in maneuvering such a tangle and get something done. There are people who will never ever know what is wrong with them because no one can tell them directly what is wrong with them. “Give a man a mask and he will tell you the truth”. It is true also that even when we know the truth about ourselves, we may rationalize and continue the same way. But still, by any chance, if people use such feedback to get better, it will be a huge improvement – individually and for corporations to get things done.

Why software development requires servant leaders – I was alone for lunch today and had couple of good articles to keep me company. I shared this with a few colleagues and later someone did a quiz which had a question on who is a servant leader – my version of deja vu. I have come to believe that this is the right way to lead. I also think such leaders may not climb the corporate ladder, data yet to prove me wrong.

Stop hiring for culture fit – I think it is time to redefine HR (in fact none of the divisions to should operate “typically”). HR function should be done by a business person and should rotate. Hiring is such a pivotal role in building a team and we don’t spend enough time learning how to correctly assess people in a short time. I think it will great to have clarity on the characteristics / qualities of people we want in a team.

No comments:

Post a Comment

weekly notes, wk 12 / 2024

  1.  Watched a series, The Old Man (Disney+), primarily since I wanted to escape and take my mind off things. It had some promise - of an o...