nightmare


When exactly did it become so big? A disaster happening step by step, we are in the picture and being aware of it slowly. When we are in an accident, time is supposed to slow down and we see everything happening but go with it since nothing else can be done. Kerala is seeing the biggest natural disaster so far in my lifetime. I see it happening, but when did I feel the pinch? I still may not have felt its full impact. But I see the people whose loved ones are stuck somewhere in the unknown, trying desperately to reach them, their panic in not knowing where they are and how they are doing and helplessness in not being able to do anything. I heard people watched the disaster unfold in the TV one day and next day flood water is on their door step. It rises inch by inch.

Concern in people’s voices, their genuine effort, eagerness to help in anyway possible – all this restores the faith in humanity. Even while there are some who still find ways to further their agenda and mischief in middle of all this. Government is in control, every available resource is put into helping people, administrators and volunteers are working round the clock and good samaritans in social media are working to share information and coordinate rescue efforts.

I used to think about the rising feeling seeing the sky darken, air getting cooler and the silence before the rain starts – will the feeling change seeing the havoc it causes? With day after day of dark clouds, hearing the rain rushing outside the window increases the anxiety whether the misery in the state will get any worse than what it is today.

I hope we get out of this as stronger people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

weekly notes, wk 12 / 2024

  1.  Watched a series, The Old Man (Disney+), primarily since I wanted to escape and take my mind off things. It had some promise - of an o...