soundtrack for memories


Aaye Tum Yaad Mujhe, Gaane Lagi Har Dhadkan
Khushboo Layi Pawan, Mehka Chandan

One of my favorites (the favorite Hindi song maybe). What it reminds me is a rainy day in Mangalore. Finished the daily call from a telephone booth. The rain falling down gets silhouetted in yellow light from the streetlights. There is a spring in my step, heartbeats are singing.. Golden days.

Pal Pal Dil ke Paas, Tum Rehti Ho
Jeevan Meethi Pyaas, Ye Kehto Ho

I wanted to record it in an old cassette, by mistake overwrote the original cassette, borrowed one from a friend, instead of the blank one. Searched in all the music shops and couldn’t find the same one. I didn’t want to say I made a mistake. Found another tape with this song, bought it and recorded the song back into the first cassette. I have the image of PaiCo music shop where I found the copy when I hear this song.

Kabhi Kabhi Mere Dil Mein, Khayaal Aata Hai
Ki Jaise Tujhko Banaya Gaya Hai Mere Liye

Riding in a tourist van, my Engineering class tour. Bright day, noisy gang, I am at the back in a window seat, as usual. This song was everyone’s favorite then.  

Kannukull pothivaipen, en chella kannaney vaa
dhidhithajai jadhikkul, ennodu aada va va..

This might have been a song which didn’t grow slowly to be a favorite, but liked in the first instance. Late evening, I have almost reached my home, just at the last signal light, when I heard this. Don’t know if I waited in the car for this song to finish.

Evano Oruvan Vaasikkiraan,
Iruttil Irunthu Naan Yaasikkiraen

I think the earlier snapshot memories got overwritten. Latest image is me walking in the morning sun, past a renovated temple, through some dirt road. An hour of walk, taking the phone every 5 minutes to skip back to this song since repeat was not working.

For you I was the flame
Love is a losing game
Five story fire as you came
Love is losing game

Album in endless repeat for weeks. Driving through Phoenixville, morning, noon and evening drives back and forth between office and home. Phoenixville library from where I took this album is one of the fondest memories.

kisi nazar ko tera, intezaar aaj bhi hai
kahaan ho tum ke ye dil bekraar aaj bhi hain

Driving in front of Cosmopolitan hospital, going through the left lane to get a free left turn. The song comes on the Hindi music programme in FM. I search for the words when I reach home to listen again.

How does it happen that memories get stored as images, more like short GIF like videos, sort of like those motion pictures on the walls of Hogwarts and gets hooked to some songs? I should write down all such images and songs as a reminder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

company / community

  1. One of the blogs I have followed for more than 15 years, is Matt Webb’s Interconnected. I am not sure how I came across his blog, but i...