Kalki - My Indian Life


Came across Kalki Koechlin's new podcast My Indian Life
I had watched only two of her movies so far. First one was Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara. I thought she was slightly odd - uncommon face, a unique way in which speaks. One of her interviews in The Hindu caught my attention, how thoughtful and articulate she was. Over time, watched her short films (The Thought Of You, Naked,  The Job), prose poetry performances (Noise, Printing Machine, Dear Men) and her movie “Waiting” recently. She is a creative force, refreshing, uncommon one. The risks that she is taking, using her creativity and art to speak up for social ills. I wonder if I was anywhere as mature at her age. I hope she goes a long way and goes on to do more brilliant work.
So far the two episodes of the podcast were good – first one with a male belly dancer (Eshan) and second one about an actor (Mallika) using her body and standing stark naked to challenge our thought processes and gender biases. In the first one Eshan talks about how he forgives his parents who cannot accept him since it is due to their context – it is a good way to think since there is no need for animosity towards people who cannot accept social change since they were brought up like that, it is not their fault as such. Mallika talks about us “letting our daughters just be” than “be a woman” and influencing the conversations, atleast in India there is more conversation about these issues now. Change is still far away.


I commented to a colleague while debating about the lack of time they have to read books that I cook too. Pat came her reply that doing it as a hobby is different from being expected to do it day after day – I knew that and ate my words. She followed it up by sharing this comic about household chores. I realize I don’t have a voice to talk about equality until I don’t just do my part, but share the mental load, until I do it not as a hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment

weekly notes, wk 12 / 2024

  1.  Watched a series, The Old Man (Disney+), primarily since I wanted to escape and take my mind off things. It had some promise - of an o...